THE COST OF GETTING SICK (3) THE HOSPITAL BILL
Falling sick is not just about your body. It’s about your bank account. It’s about the panic that sets in when a doctor says, “We’ll need to run a few tests,” and you start calculating in your head before you even ask how much.
We like to believe that Teaching Hospitals are the safe place. The place for the ordinary person. The place where expertise meets some measure of affordability. And to be fair, they do incredible work. I’ve seen lives saved in those corridors. I’ve seen dedicated doctors and nurses stretch themselves thin for patients who can barely afford a consultation fee. But I’ve also seen families crumble financially in those same buildings.
You walk in thinking, “At least I have NHIS” or “My HMO will handle this.” There’s a certain comfort in holding that card. It feels like protection. Until you’re told that the scan isn’t covered. Or the medication is out of stock under your plan. Or your coverage limit has been exhausted. Or this particular procedure falls outside your package.
And then the payments begin. Not all at once, but in steady, humbling installments. Registration. Lab work. Extra lab work. Imaging. Consumables. Admission deposit. Blood processing. A drug that’s “not on the list.” You pay small amounts here and there, telling yourself it’s manageable, until you add it up and realize you’ve quietly spent what took you years to save.
Some people borrow against their salaries because of one emergency surgery. Sold a piece of land to fund cancer treatment. Another drained her cooperative savings to keep a premature baby in the ICU. These aren’t reckless people. These are disciplined, hardworking Nigerians who did “everything right.” Still, one hospital bill nearly erased their financial stability.
Now, I try to be fair about this conversation. Healthcare is expensive everywhere. Equipment costs money. Specialists train for years. Drugs are imported. I understand that hospitals aren’t charity centers. And yes, insurance schemes help to some extent. They do reduce the burden in many cases. But if we’re being honest, the relief is often partial. The gap between what’s covered and what you actually need can be wide enough to swallow your whole savings.
What unsettles me is how unprepared most of us are. We insure our cars before we service our bodies. We upgrade our phones but postpone checkups. We say we’re too busy to run simple screenings. I’m guilty too. It’s easy to ignore a mild headache or persistent fatigue when life is demanding and money is tight.
But I’ve seen how quickly “minor” becomes “critical.” Hypertension ignored for years suddenly becomes a stroke. A lump dismissed as nothing turns into something serious. An untreated infection spirals into a hospital admission that costs more than a decade of routine checkups ever would have.
I’m not trying to preach. I just think we underestimate how fragile our financial plans are in the face of illness. We talk about investments, side hustles, retirement plans. All good things. But one complicated hospital stay can humble all of that. Not because you were foolish, but because the system still expects you to shoulder a heavy part of the bill at the point of care.
So these days, I see staying healthy as more than a wellness trend. It’s financial sense. It’s strategy. It’s protection. Eat a little better. Rest when you can. Check your blood pressure. Know what your insurance actually covers instead of assuming. Ask questions before emergencies force answers on you.
I don’t have all the solutions. I’ve seen the system work, and I’ve seen it fail people. But I know this: in Nigeria, your health is not something you can afford to neglect. Because sometimes, it’s not the illness alone that breaks you. It’s the bill that follows.

Comments
Post a Comment