YOUR SORRY IS NOT SORRY
Saying “sorry” can either bring people closer or push them apart. A lot of the time, we treat apologies like a quick fix or a way to escape blame. We say “sorry” the way we say “good morning”: just straightforward, nothing attached.
But a real apology is much more; it’s about reconnecting. It’s not just the word itself; it’s about showing respect and making things right again.
Some apologies wear masks. They look like remorse, but they are really excuses in formal attire.
-
“I’m sorry if you feel that way.”
-
“I’m sorry, but you misunderstood me.”
-
“If I offended you, that wasn’t my intention.”
-
“I already said sorry, what else do you want?”
Clarity says, “I see what I did.”
Vagueness says, “Let’s not talk about it.”
Ownership removes the word “but.”
Because every “but” cancels the apology before it finishes speaking.
Empathy says, “Your feelings are valid.”
Without empathy, an apology becomes a legal statement, not a human one.
The strongest apology is not spoken; it is demonstrated.
An apology is a promise that the behavior won’t happen again. If you apologize for being late every week but never set an alarm, the words become hollow.
* Identify the trigger: "I noticed I keep forgetting people's birthdays."
* State the fix: "I’ve started setting reminders in advance so I can plan for it."
When you offer a sincere apology, you aren't just cleaning up a mess; you are reinforcing the foundation of your relationship. You are telling the other person that they are seen, heard, and valued.
James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.”

Comments
Post a Comment