A HEART WITHOUT GUILE
This morning, I saw something powerful in the simplest words: “Mummy bye.”
After several reminders, I spanked my son for delaying in getting ready for school. In the process, he slipped and bumped his head. He cried through the rest of the morning. I acknowledged the bump and told him to be careful.
By the time we arrived at school, I assumed he would be upset. I did not expect warmth. I did not expect affection. But as he stepped out of the car, he turned and said, “Mummy bye.”
That simple goodbye melted me.
No cold shoulder. No silent protest. No calculated withdrawal of affection.
Just a heart that did not hold on to offence.
And I thought to myself- this is what a heart without guile looks like.
What Is a Heart Without Guile?
When the Bible describes Nathanael, Jesus said: “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile.” John 1:47
Guile means deceit, manipulation, hidden resentment, or masked intentions.
A heart without guile is not naive; it is pure. It does not scheme. It does not store bitterness. It does not weaponize silence.
Children often model this effortlessly. They feel deeply. They cry freely. But they release quickly.
Adults?
We remember.
We replay.
We rehearse the offence.
We adjust our tone.
We withdraw warmth strategically.
That is guile.
The Danger
Guile says:
- “I won’t forget this.”
- “Let me just step back.”
- “I will respond, but not with the same energy.”
- “They hurt me, so I will protect myself.”
Guile shows up as controlled distance. We remain present but not open. Polite but not warm. Civil but not sincere. And over time, it hardens the heart. Scripture says in Psalm 32:2: “Blessed is the one… in whose spirit there is no deceit.”
How Do We Maintain a Heart Without Guile?
In practical, everyday life, this requires intentional discipline.
1. Release Quickly
Children cry, but they move on.
We, however, rehearse pain. We assign meaning. We interpret tone.
A heart without guile chooses release over rehearsal.
It says:
- “I felt that, but I will not store it.”
- “I will address issues, but I will not poison my spirit.”
Forgiveness is not weakness. It is emotional maturity.
2. Separate Correction from Rejection
In parenting, leadership, and relationships, correction is necessary.
But guile enters when correction becomes emotional retaliation.
The goal is to correct behaviour, not withdraw love.
That goodbye from my son reminded me: Affection should not be transactional.
A guileless heart loves consistently, not conditionally.
3. Guard Your Inner Narrative
Guile grows in the stories we tell ourselves.
“She did that on purpose.”
“He always disrespects me.”“They don’t value me.”
A pure heart challenges its assumptions before forming conclusions.
Ask: Do I have full information? Am I projecting past experiences? Is my reaction proportionate?
Maturity is not suppressing emotion. It is regulating interpretation.
4. Stay Soft
Life tries to harden us, disappointments, misunderstandings, betrayals. But softness is strength. In Ephesians 4:31–32, we are told to put away bitterness and be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving one another.
Tenderhearted. I know it's not popular, in fact, our world requires us to be hard in order to survive. That word is intentional. Tenderness requires courage. It is easier to build walls than to remain open.
My Reflection
That small voice saying, “Mummy bye,” confronted me more than tears would have.
It reminded me that purity of heart is powerful.
May we raise children who forgive quickly, and may we be adults who learn to do the same.
A heart without guile is not weak. It is free. And freedom is strength.
Comments
Post a Comment