NOT EVERY THOUGHT IS TRUTH: CONFRONTING TOXIC THINKING
God’s Truth is Greater Than Our Thoughts
The Bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to “take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” That means we don’t just accept every idea that enters our mind; we put it through a spiritual filter. Does this line up with God’s truth? Does this reflect who He says I am?
The Bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to “take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” That means we don’t just accept every idea that enters our mind; we put it through a spiritual filter. Does this line up with God’s truth? Does this reflect who He says I am?
1. Capture the Thought
Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Ask yourself, “What am I thinking right now?” Write it down if you must. Naming the thought gives you power over it.
Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Ask yourself, “What am I thinking right now?” Write it down if you must. Naming the thought gives you power over it.
2. Challenge the Thought
Is it true?
Is it rooted in God’s Word or in fear?
Would I say this to a loved one?
Replace lies with truth. For example:
Lie: “I’ll never get better.”
Truth: “God is working in me, and healing is possible.” (Philippians 1:6)
Is it true?
Is it rooted in God’s Word or in fear?
Would I say this to a loved one?
Replace lies with truth. For example:
Lie: “I’ll never get better.”
Truth: “God is working in me, and healing is possible.” (Philippians 1:6)
The role of Scripture in renewing the mind
''Do not conform to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.''-(Romans 12:2).
Our thoughts shape our lives. What we dwell on becomes the lens through which we see ourselves, others, and even God. That’s why Scripture doesn’t just call us to believe differently, it calls us to think differently.
Renewing your mind is not a one-time event; it’s a daily exchange, laying down old thought patterns and taking up the truth of God’s Word. The world tries to press us into its mold, fear, pride, comparison, and compromise, but God invites us into transformation, from the inside out.
And how does that transformation happen? Through His Word.
Practical Exercise:
Pick one recurring toxic thought and replace it with a corresponding Scripture (e.g., “I’m not enough” → “I can do all things through Christ…” – Philippians 4:13).
Allow God's word to reveal truth to you, rewire your perspective, and replace toxic thoughts.

Comments
Post a Comment